Meeting Minutes for February 16, 2011
Historic Amsterdam League
Trustees Meeting Minutes
City of Amsterdam Annex Building Meeting Room
February 16, 2011
1. Call to Order
- The meeting was called to order by Robert von Hasseln. Six persons were in attendance including Trustees von Hasslen, Snyder, Clough, Baranello and Zabawsky.
- Minutes of the previous meeting were approved.
- Betty Clough gave the Treasurer’s report. The total in the HAL bank account is $442.13.
4. Old Business
- a) Project Status – Jerry Snyder gave an update on the HAL website, which will be going public. Betty Clough gave an update on the Board of Trade Dinner. Betty also has contacted a Master Gardener with Cooperative Extension regarding the City Hall Rose garden, and Nick Zabawsky will follow up. Jackie Murphy is working on the walking tour, and the possibility of coordinating activities with the Spring Fling were discussed, which will be on May 22nd.
- b) Honarary Members – Rob indicated continued efforts to identify honorary members. Anyone with ideas is encouraged to present them.
- c) Membership Enhancement – Means of enhancing membership were discussed. Rob von Hasseln is will working on a brochure. Rob indicated the need for more volunteers to go out to community organizations for promote HAL. Nick and Betty agreed to attend a Rotary meeting later in the Spring.
- d) A response letter to Alderman Isabel’s announcement that the City Hall Relocation Committee was being discontinued was presented and discussed. A few minor revisions will be made prior to issuing the response. The central theme of the letter will be HAL’s willingness to work with City officials in assisting with the City Hall preservation effort.
- e) Rob indicated a need to have additional people trained to give tours of City Hall. We are seeking volunteers to serve as tour guides.
5. New Business
- a) A discussion of the Chalmers project was discussed. In light of the litigation and other considerations, HAL will not be taking any position on the issue.
- b) A resolution is support of archeological artifacts from Chuctanunda Terrace being loaned to the Elwood Museum was unanimously passed.
- c) A discussion about possible cuts to the City Historian’s department were discussed. No action will be taken until any such cuts are proposed.
- d) It was announced that Nick and Rob met with Erin Tobin of the New York State Preservation League regarding grants to undertake studies of City Hall. Also discussed was the possibility of preservation workshops in the area.
- e) Ideas for the next general membership meeting, to be held in April was discussed.
- a) Amsterdam Reads will hold a book discussion on “Riders Up” and hold a City Hall tour on February 27, 2011 at 2:00 PM.
- b) Jerry Snyder discussed a virtual reality tour of the FJ&G and the A,C,& N Railroads that is being developed.
7. Next Meeting.
- The next meeting of the Trustees will be held on Wednesday, March 16, 2011 at 7:00 PM.
- The meeting was adjourned at 8:20 PM.