Meeting Minutes for September 15, 2010
Historic Amsterdam League Meeting Minutes
City of Amsterdam Common Council Chambers
September 15, 2010
1. The meeting was called to order by Robert von Hasseln. Approximately 20 persons were in attendance.
2. Robert von Hasseln offered opening remarks, and encouraged those in attendance to being paying dues, and there are a number of activities which will require the incurring of expenses.
3. Minutes of the August 11, 2010 meeting were reviewed and unanimously approved.
4. The Rules Committee is working on proposed bylaws for the organization. Robert von Hasseln presented a draft of the bylaws, but indicated that more review by the committee before the bylaws would be ready for review and adoption by the entire group.
5. Nick Zabawsky presented a list of persons who have filled out membership forms, and asked for any additions or corrections. He also encouraged those who have not filled out a membership form to do so. There are a lot of people who have expressed interest in the organization that have not filled out membership forms.
6. The “Dream List” which was prepared at the August meeting was reviewed with the concept of establishing priorities. Some projects should to be pursed in the short term, while others are too expensive or complex to be taken on at this time. Three categories of projects were established, and project assigned as follows :
Projects Which HAL will Pursue in the Short Term
- Neighborhood Tours
- School Historic Essay
- “Board of Trade” Dinner (125th Anniversary Dinner)
- Develop Hal Website
- Historic Preservation Law
- City Hall Restoration
- City Hall Rose Garden
Projects to Be Referred to Committee for Review and Possible Action
- Chuctanunda Greenway
- Oral History
- Catalogue of Buildings to Be Demolished
- Historical Markers
- Christmas Ornaments
- SUNY Internship
- History of Your House Program
- Booklet : Neighborhoods
- Downtown Preservation
- Audio Visual Recording of Amsterdam’s History
- HAL Speaking Tour
- Membership Drive
- Road Race/125th Anniversary
Projects Which Will Be Tabled for Future Consideration
- Guy Park Avenue Historic District
- Historic Parts Warehouse
- Downtown Trolley Tour
- Industry/technology Exhibit/museum
- Train/trolley Museum
- Dove Creek Sassafras Park
7. Jerry Snyder informed the group that he had a relative who does web site development work who is willing to volunteer to work on the HAL website.
8. Robert von Hasseln discussed a current effort by WMHT called “Our Town”. This is a video recording of interviews of residents of Amsterdam, indicating their favorite things about Amsterdam. Anyone wishing to participate should contact Robert to make arrangements.
9. A Resolution of Condolence on the death of Herbert Shuttleworth was passed . The resolution will be forwarded to the Shuttleworth family.
10. A resolution in support of the restoration of the City Hall Rose Garden was passed. HAL will provide advice and support on behalf of the Rose Garden effort.
11. The next meeting was set for October 20th at 7:00 PM. The meeting was adjourned at 8:45 PM.