Frequently Asked Questions
We’re always glad to get your questions, whether they are about HAL itself, ongoing league projects, or any aspect of the history of Amsterdam. Any questions that are repetitive will be posted here, so if you think it’s something that someone else may have already asked, take a quick look here. You may find your answer is already waiting for you!
- Do I need to be a resident of Amsterdam to join HAL?
- Absolutely not. HAL membership is open to everyone – city residents, Amsterdam’s neighbors, old friends that have moved away – anyone with an interest in Amsterdam and its history (and future). Membership is granted after completion and receipt of a membership application and annual dues.
- Are there dues for being a HAL member?
- HAL dues are based membership level, with five levels offered:
- Lifetime – one time dues of $200.00 Lifetime members receive a complementary copy of HAL tour books, calendars, and post cards when issued
- Business/Corporate – annual dues in the name of businesses and corporations are $150.00
- Regular – annual dues for regular individual members are $20.00
- Family – annual dues for a single family are $25.00. A family unit is considered to consist of parents and immediate children or the equivalent
- Student/Senior – annual dues are $15.00 for full time students under the age of 24 (Student) and for persons 55 years of age or older (Senior)
- When and where are HAL meetings held?
- HAL meetings are typically held at Amsterdam City Hall at 61 Church Street, Amsterdam, N.Y. at 6:30 PM on the third Wednesday of the month. Full Membership meetings are held quarterly in January, April, July, and October and are open to the public. Trustee meetings are held every month. Committee meetings are scheduled by the individual committees. Meeting schedules are posted on the website and members are notified by E-mail of any schedule changes. Meeting announcements are also provided to the local newspapers and radio stations.