Meeting Minutes for October 20, 2010
Historic Amsterdam League Meeting Minutes
City of Amsterdam Common Council Chambers
October 20, 2010
1. The meeting was called to order by Robert von Hasseln. Approximately 15 persons were in attendance.
2. Minutes of the August 11, 2010 meeting were reviewed and unanimously approved.
3. Robert von Hasseln presented the proposed organizational bylaws. Motion to approve by Nick Zabawsky, second by Betty Clough, unanimously adopted.
- Jerry Snyder gave an update on the HAL website. Services to develop the website are being donated by relatives. A domain name has been obtained and the website is being organized. Input and ideas are welcome.
- Jackie Murphy discussed walking tours. She discussed prior walking tours which she has organized, and ideas for developing tours, which she is now working on.
- Betty Clough discussed a possible “Board of Trade” fund-raising dinner. If the effort is to be undertaken, a committee will need to be established, and volunteers are being solicited.
- Betty Clough discussed the City Hall Rose Garden initiative, and will attempt to set up a meeting to coordinate with the Amsterdam Beautification Corp.
- Rob von Hasseln discussed a concept for a historic calendar. This could serve as a fundraiser, as well as to promote historic preservation awareness.
- Betty Clough cannot establish a taxpayer identification number without a mailing address for HAL. Jerry Snyder has agreed to provide a PO BOX for such purposes.
5. The need to establish a Board of Trustees for the organization was discussed. The following shall serve as Trustees, and were unanimously approved.
- Debra Baranello
- Betty Clough
- Susan Lange
- Victoria Nelson
- Gerald Snyder
- Robert von Hasseln
- Nick Zabawsky
6. New Business
- Rob von Hasseln will be undertaking a pilot project on the “History of Your Home” with the goal showing interested homeowners how to research the history of their homes.
- The preservation and restoration of City Hall was discussed. One of the topics was the concern about city government moving out of the Sanford Mansion and into another location, such as the Key Bank Building. There was widespread opposition amongst the group to such a move. Also, the need for the City to establish a better record storage regime, with the goal of utilizing the 3rd floor children’s room as a meeting space was discussed.
- Questions were brought up regarding the new zoning law and historic preservation issues. The County Planning Department is working on the zoning, and Rob von Hasseln will contact the County to get more information.
- WMHT is doing a presentation called “Our Town”, a video of the places in Amsterdam that make the community special, in the eyes of residents. The screening of the presentation will take place on 11/15/10 at 7:30 at the DeRose Theater at the Amsterdam High School.
- Service medals will be awarded by the City to veterans. Nominations are being sought for recipients of the service medal. If you are aware of a living veteran who would make a good candidate, contact Rob von Hasseln.
8. The next membership meeting was set for January 20, 2011 at 7:00 PM. The next trustees meeting is set for November 17, 2010 at 7:00 PM. The meeting was adjourned at 8:45 PM.